What's it all about then?


food, cooking, baking, making, arts & crafts and a hefty dose of vaguely amusing general chat

Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Gingerbread Workshop Part 2: gingerbread men

Obviously, I couldn’t do a Gingerbread Workshop without featuring gingerbread men.
I’d baked them a few days earlier, roughly following this recipe from the BBC Good Food website. I made double the quantity, but left it at 2 egg yolks and instead added a couple of tablespoons of treacle and more golden syrup. Rolled out very thin, this made 24 large (7cm) gingerbread men.

The idea was to decorate with sweeties, baking decorations and coloured icing. These last I bought in tubes, but I needed a good strong white icing to stick the sweets down with. Royal icing was the obvious choice, but how to provide it so the kids (ages ranging from 4 to 8) could use it? While surfing around the internet, I found the excellent idea of using squeezy bottles with nozzles but couldn’t actually find any to buy anywhere, and it was too late to order any online.

I eventually hit on the idea of using kids’ ketchup bottles, which turned out to be perfect!

Royal Icing :  approx. 200g icing sugar per 1 egg white
Whisk egg whites until stiff. Continue whisking while adding sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. The result should be a thick, glossy icing that holds it shape.

You can use it with a piping bag or the squeezy bottle, which is great for small children.

I went a bit mad buying the decorations, so we had way more than we actually needed.
But it turned out that the more stuff we gave the kids, the more amazing the gingerbread men turned out to be.



The kids took their gingerbread home with them, but as we had quite a few plain ones left over, Henry and I decorated them ourselves today.

I think that they look SUPERB, and I'd highly recommend this as a pre-Christmas activity for over 3yos. Plus they tasted great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment